The right way to choose shoes and 10 suggestions for foot health management
by my top on Jan 10, 2023
As the saying goes, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Ankle and foot health is the foundation of human standing and exercise. However, about one-quarter of the population in the world is suffering from various degrees of pain caused by foot and ankle diseases. However, because the symptoms of foot disease are hidden, it is easy to be ignored and delayed treatment, which affects the quality of life. This article puts forward ten suggestions in terms of shoes selection and foot care, hoping to help more people stay away from ankle pain.
When should I choose shoes?
1) It is best to choose shoes around 3 to 6 in the afternoon because the feet will swell slightly at this time. If the size selected at this time does not feel small, it will be fine to wear at other times of the day.
(2) Try on while standing, because your feet will be slightly larger when standing than when sitting. Be sure to walk a few steps back and forth and carefully feel the stability and size of the shoes.
(3) About two-thirds of people have different feet. Remember which one is longer and which is shorter. When trying shoes, both feet must be tried on.
(4) The size of the shoes should be-toes and toes should have a horizontal finger position.
what kind of shoes should be worn for sports:
Although everyone knows, you need to wear sneakers when you exercise. However, we need to remind everyone that no one kind of sports shoes can be suitable for all sports.
(1) Basketball shoes for playing basketball require a thicker sole, a flatter overall, and a higher upper on the back to prevent sprains and slips.
(2) Football shoes for running on the grass require more flexible ankle activities and a lower upper.
(3) The ground for playing tennis is usually hard, which requires the shoes to have a non-slip cushioning effect.
(4) Jogging requires slightly lighter jogging shoes with cushioned cushions.
People who exercise regularly must prepare shoes for corresponding sports.
Find the right size for your feet:
Everyone looks different, and the 28 bones of the ankle are naturally different. It can be said that billions of us cannot find the same feet. To a large extent, the arches of the feet are high and low, and the feet are wide, narrow, and thin, all of which require special attention when choosing shoes.
(1) People with flat feet have poor foot cushioning during weight-bearing walking, and feet hurt when they walk too much. Therefore, try to choose shoes that raise the arch pads.
(2) If the toes are wide or have vagus, you should choose a shoe with a loose tip, otherwise it will cause wear between the toes, and long-term walking will cause pain.
(3) Children with inner horoscopes should not blindly wear anti-shoes when walking.
In addition, when choosing shoes for heavy people, they should choose elastic shoes to reduce the impact of walking on the soles of the feet.
Special foot shape with special insole
It is easier to buy shoes for general foot types, but some people have flat feet or high arches. Such feet are more particular when buying shoes and matching insoles. How do I know the shape of my feet?
Here is a simple test method: Wet the soles of the feet and print them on tissue paper. If you have flat feet, the arch of the inner sole of the foot is small, and the entire foot is almost close to the ground when standing. The opposite is true for people with high arches. The arches of the feet are too high to be close to the ground. People with flat feet should choose shoes with arched soles and hard heels, otherwise, they are likely to suffer from plantar fasciitis; people with high arches should choose softer insoles or air cushions to reduce the impact of shocks on the feet.
How to choose shoes for children
(1) Choose moderate hardness. When the child walks, the center of gravity of the body rests on the feet. If the sole is too soft, the center of gravity is likely to be unstable and the arch of the foot will collapse. In addition, children have unstable gait and poor dorsiflexion (toe-toe) ability, and the wear of shoes will be much greater. You should choose shoes that are slightly harder and have good wear resistance.
(2) Choose shoes with good anti-slip performance. In infants and young children, if the walking is unstable and the soles are too slippery, the child will fall easily. But if it is too slip-resistant, the shoes will stick to the ground, which is not conducive to walking.
Try to choose shoes with wide heads, because many children have hallux valgus, the pointed feet are easy to squeeze to the toes, which aggravates hallux valgus. To leave a certain amount of space for the forefoot, it is best to choose fat shoes.
Old people should not choose too soft shoes:
As the elderly get older, the fascia and ligaments of the foot and ankle will also age, and the bones and joints will also experience degenerative changes. Compared with young people, the ankle of the elderly is more susceptible to injury, and the speed of recovery after injury will be much slower than that of young people. Therefore, the elderly should pay more attention to the choice of shoes. A common misunderstanding is that the elderly like to wear soft-soled cloth shoes and think that the softer the better. In fact, the soles that are too soft will not provide enough support for the soles of the feet. At the same time, the shoes that are too soft will not provide good elastic cushioning, which will increase the damage of the soles.
(1) Older people tend to collapse in their arches, so they should choose shoes that have enough cushioning and good elasticity at the arches. The part of the insole that directly touches the surface of the foot is also required to be soft and fully fit the sole of the foot.
(2) Older people have poor foot blood circulation, so they should choose looser shoes. The requirement is not only that there is no squeezing or grinding of feet when trying on, but also not appearing when the feet are slightly swollen when they are walking multiple ways. Grind your feet.
(3) The elderly are more likely to fall, so you should choose shoes with better anti-slip performance. In addition, considering that the elderly are easily sprained, you can choose appropriate high-top shoes to protect the ankle joint.
(4) The elderly have a poor circulatory function and should choose shoes with better air permeability to reduce sweating.
Three steps to choose shoes for diabetic candidates:
- Take a look. First of all, look at the shoe surface, choose soft, breathable shoes. Secondly, look at whether the sole is thick or not. Thick-soled shoes can disperse the force on the sole of the patient’s feet and reduce the chance of foot deformation. Again, look at the width of the shoe bore, that is, whether the front space of the shoe is sufficient. Diabetics must not wear pointed shoes or high heels. Once the sugar friend’s feet are squeezed, it is easy to cause deformities. Finally, look at the height of the waist of the shoe. If the waist of the shoe is too high, it will rub the ankle and cause ulceration.
(2) Second touch. When picking shoes, reach into the shoes and touch them, especially where the eyes cannot see, to avoid protruding threads or seams. Due to the numbness of the feet of sugar friends, ordinary people can detect the pain that they do not feel, which will cause injury. In addition, you need to press the insole, and the sugar friend should choose a softer insole, which can disperse the force on the soles of the feet.
(3) Three trials. Sugar friends wear loose shoes on the one hand and fit their feet on the other. Therefore, foot and ankle experts recommend that patients buy shoes with laces or buckles that can adjust the weight and weight so that the shoes can adapt to the foot as much as possible. In addition, when wearing shoes, raise the heel and bend the sole to see if the fold line of the sole is consistent with the sole of the foot, otherwise, the shoe will not fit.
Finally, it is emphasized that if the sugar friend’s feet have been deformed, in addition to plaster fixation, surgery, and other treatment methods, special shoes must be ordered under the guidance of a doctor to control the development of the disease.
Good-looking expensive shoes are not necessarily suitable shoes:
In modern society, shoes are not only a tool for protecting the body from the cold, but also an aesthetic requirement, and even a symbol of status. Some shoes are worth several thousand yuan or even tens of thousands of yuan. However, I need to remind everyone that no matter how beautiful the shoes are, if they are not suitable for your feet, you can’t ask for them. Just as many women will find that wearing high heels can cause foot pain, sometimes good-looking and expensive shoes are not necessarily suitable shoes.
For example, for patients with lateral ankle ligament injury, it is recommended to wear some high-top shoes. This is because a higher upper can provide stability to the ankle joint and reduce the occurrence of crippled feet.
For patients with hallux valgus, try to reduce the pressure on the forefoot when choosing shoes and avoid wearing high heels.
Similarly, women who often have bad feet should wear fewer high heels, especially those with very high heels. Because when we wear high heels, our ankle joints are in a position of “plantar flexion”. In this position, the ankle joints are relatively loose. In addition, the thin high heels are not easy to stabilize, which will increase the chance of cramping.
Change the shoes when the sole broke :
Although we advocate hard work and simplicity, from the point of view of protecting the ankle, don’t wait for the sole to wear out before changing shoes. Through the above content, I believe everyone already knows that everyone’s feet are different. A pair of suitable shoes need to have a high degree of fit with your feet. When the sole of a pair of shoes wears down, the shape of the shoe changes accordingly. At this time, these shoes are no longer suitable for you and need to be replaced.
In life, we often find that a pair of shoes always wear more heavily on a certain part. For example, sometimes, the inside of the heel is worn thin, and the other parts are good. In this case, many people are reluctant to change their shoes. But in fact, in layman’s terms, it is this part of the thinned sole that replaces our feet with the damage caused by walking. If it is not replaced in time, it will be our feet that will be damaged next.
Check your ankles regularly:
The ankle is a complex structure, and everything can’t be done just by choosing the right shoes. Once the foot has pain, it is still necessary to consult a foot and ankle specialist in time. What needs to be understood is that many foot and ankle diseases require surgical treatment, and there are many foot and ankle diseases that require standardized rehabilitation training. Therefore, I hope that everyone should not be careless to avoid delays in treatment, which may lead to serious consequences.
Regular foot check is also necessary for the health of the foot. Pay attention to the color and temperature of the foot, whether the toenail becomes thick and discolored, whether the skin is damaged, and whether the size of the foot has changed.
Wash your feet frequently and dry your toes after washing your feet. Toenails should be trimmed frequently, and the nails should not be cut too short, especially for patients with diabetes and poor circulation. Improper trimming of the toenails can cause skin damage and infection. And when we choose shoes, we must fit our feet, and we must choose different shoes according to different activities. In fact, just like other parts of the body, there are some exercise methods for the feet.